Can Cook, Must Cook

The food adventures of Franka P, a Trinidadian journalist living in London, UK. I'll write about my forays into all types of food and cooking, particularly Caribbean food. I'll also review books and recipes by the leading food writers and talk about the issues making headlines in the gastronomic world.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

My recipe quest continues

My search for a recipe using strawberry vinegar as a key ingredient has taken some interesting twists and turns. At first, I thought about doing seared scallops and gurnard with strawberry vinegar and shallot dressing, but after tasting the strawberry vinegar again, I felt it would be too tart and mask the delicate flavour of the scallops and gurnard.
Aardvarknav kindly posted several
recipes on this blog including a catfish recipe, which looks quite interesting.
I wasn't sure whether I could find catfish here but Duncan Lucas of
Passionate About Fish told me catfish is known as either rockfish or wolf fish.
He said both freshwater or seawater catfish are available and described seawater catfish, which live on a diet of crustaceans and molluscs, as having "a beautiful, delicate shellfish flavour".

I had a look at a few books including Culinary Artistry, Rick Stein's Taste of the Sea and Leith's Fish Bible. And as I suspected, an oily fish would be best with a tart sauce like strawberry vinegar sauce.
I took my search to the foodies on the
BBC Food messageboard and I got some helpful suggestions. Rustie posted several links to recipes that use raspberry vinegar which I will substitute with the strawberry vinegar. The recipe that caught my eye came from the BBC's treasure trove of recipes.
I like the look of this recipe and if I decide to use it, I'll use salmon if I can't get sea trout. Meanwhile, my search continues.

Sea trout with rose, raspberry vinegar and fennel
Ingredients
1kg/2¼lb sea trout, filleted
275ml/½ pint fish stock
125ml/4fl oz dry rosé wine
1 tbsp strawberry vinegar
30-50g/1-2oz butter
½ lemon, squeezed
5 fennel sprigs, chopped

Method
1. Preheat oven temperature to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
2. Place sea trout fillets in an ovenproof dish with a little of the fish stock. Season well. Put in the oven for 5-8 minutes until cooked. Remove fish from the oven but keep warm.
3. Pour the juice from the fish into a pan with remaining stock, rosé wine and strawberry vinegar. Bubble hard and reduce by half.
4. Add butter, lemon juice and finely chopped fennel sprigs.
5. Lift the skin off the fillets of fish and lay them on a plate. Pour over the sauce. Serve immediately.
6. Serve with new potatoes or a green leaf salad.



Food & Drink Blog Top Sites

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home