Can Cook, Must Cook

The food adventures of Franka P, a Trinidadian journalist living in London, UK. I'll write about my forays into all types of food and cooking, particularly Caribbean food. I'll also review books and recipes by the leading food writers and talk about the issues making headlines in the gastronomic world.

Friday, April 07, 2006

A Curry option for Easter

Plans are afoot for a big lime on Easter Friday.
EJ and Cherise are having their long-awaited housewaming party in Finchley, North London and in typical EJ style, he's cooking up a real Trini favourite.
The last time he cooked for us, it was oxtail soup and this time, he'll be doing Curry Duck.
Curry isn't a traditional Easter option but I know EJ is desperate to cook the two ducks he got in Sainsbury's a few weeks ago.
To make the occasion more lavish, they've asked everyone to bring a dish to accompany the duck and after thinking about it, I decided that I'll make the percect accompaniment - Curry Mango.

I got this recipe from my good pardner in Trinidad, Jillian Joseph-Lall, who makes the best curry mango I've ever tasted! The recipe calls for julie mangoes, but even though we don't have those here, I'm sure I can still can do justice to this recipe.


Jillian's Curry Mango

Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins - one hour

6 large unripe mangoes
2 tbsp oil
6 ozs anchar massala (or a mixture of 3oz coriander seeds, 2oz onion seeds and 1oz geera roasted and ground)
2 tsp salt
150g sugar
8-10 garlic cloves, chopped finely
2 large hot chillies or Scotch Bonnet peppers, chopped finely

Method
1. Wash mangoes, slice through to make 1cm rounds and remove the nutty bit inside the seed.
2. Boil for 20-30 mins to soften slightly. This will also get rid of the some of the acidity of the mangoes.
3. Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan or casserole.
4. Add half the garlic and pepper, cook until slightly burnt and remove from pan.
5. Make a thick paste with the massala and water and pour into the saucepan with the oil, stirring constantly for about 5 mins. This process is called 'chunkaying' the massala.
6. Add the mangoes to the massala, stir and add a bit of water so the mixture won't stick to the pot, but not too much, as mangoes will release water as they cook.
7. Add sugar, salt and the rest of garlic and pepper. Cover and let simmer.
8. After about 20 minutes, taste and adjust sugar. More sugar might be needed depending on the acidity of the mangoes.
9. Cook for a further 20 minutes or until the mango pulp is very soft.

The secret to a good curry mango is to let it rest for a few days in the refrigerator as this allows the flavours to develop. Serve as an accompaniment to any curry dish or as a light snack with some plain crackers, preferably Crix.

Food & Drink Blog Top Sites

1 Comments:

  • At 20:50, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just try out Gillian's Curry Mango recipe. Mih friend did axe me to buy some for she when I went to the city. I didn't fine none, so when I reach back home, I tort "Buh I could try ah ting and make some mihself". I did use de mango from Mexico (obviously not julie, rose or long) and de Indian store eh have no achar masala or onion seed. So watch me grinin' masala like mih granmudda (and de calypso) :) I also trow in lil bit ah garam masala and curry powder, and fry up some onion wid de garlic and dry chili pepper. I also trow in some green seasoning. Well, smell up de whole apartment building, but it come out real good. Mih friend was so happy, she woulda bring out de Royal Oak hideaway in de cupboard if she had any (wait, maybe she really have some? !). Arright eh. Gillian recipe nice.

    OK, for those who don't speak Trini:
    I tried out Gillian's recipe for Curry Mango, with some substitutions that included onions instead of onion seeds in the made-from-scratch achar masala, crushed dried red chilis instead of scotch bonnets, about a teaspoon each of garam masala and curry powder with the achar masala, and some green seasoning (ground cilantro and chives) at the end. It was marvelous. Thanks for this amazing recipe. Good luck with writing your own cookbook - sign me up for a copy!
    Thanks,
    Sara
    East Lansing, MI USA

     

Post a Comment

<< Home